C-2 Changing Fellowship Category from DC to PD after Obtaining Your Degree

When a JSPS DC fellow obtains a degree, he/she must change his/her fellowship category to Postdoctoral Fellow (JSPS PD fellow).


1.Call JSPS's Research Fellowship Division (03-3263-4998) and inform them you have obtained your degree.

2.Inform the Research Promotion Group (Kenkyū Suishin Group) about the change in fellowship category.
E-mail: j-fellow[at]jim.titech.ac.jp (replace [at] with @)

You must change your Status of Residence (from "Student" to "Highly Skilled Professional(i)(a)" /"Highly Skilled Professional(ii)" (only in cases of change of status) / "Professor" / "Instructor"). It may take the Immigration Bureau over a month to process your request for change of status, so we recommend that you take necessary steps early. We will inform you of the steps you need to take separately.

3.Submit the following three documents to the Research Promotion Group (Kenkyū Suishin Group) by internal mail.

  • A. Request to Change Fellowship Category (Form 5-1, to be filled out by the host researcher and fellow)
  • B. Letter of Agreement to Accept Fellow (Form 5-2, to be filled out by the host researcher and fellow)
  • C. A copy of your degree certificate (gakui shutoku shōmeisho)

You will receive your degree certificate after the graduation ceremony. We recommend that you submit Forms 5-1 and 5-2 to the Research Promotion Group first. Send a copy of your degree certificate by e-mail as a PDF attachment after the ceremony.

4.We will process the documents, affix the president's seal, and return them by internal mail.

5.Send the documents to the JSPS office.


  • You will not be able to use your student ID card from the first of the month after your graduation ceremony. An access card is required to enter and exit campus buildings and for setting up an e-mail address - apply for one as soon as you know you will obtain your degree. You will need to show photo identification when you come to collect your access card.
  • Your access card number must be registered to your Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI) in the Purchase Request System. Be sure to tell us your access card number and submit a Notification of Change to Purchase Request System User to the group in charge of contracts to which you are affiliated.

For more details, visit B-5 Access Card.

KAKENHI-Related Procedures

If you are going to move to another research institution, change host researchers within an institution, etc., separate procedures are required. Contact the Research Promotion Group (Kenkyū Suishin Group) and tell us the details of your plans.